According to a post on NewTeeVee:
Regardless of how many ads were shown, 90 percent of ABC.com viewers continued to say they’d rather get the show for free than pay to get it without ads.
Why aren’t the TV networks releasing copies of their shows to pirate sites complete with the ads built in? While I do love my ad-free TV torrents, I tend to watch on Boxee even with the ads since there is simply no wait. However, I miss being able to download and watch the show on other devices or outside of a wifi hotspot.
I think most people would be perfectly ok with downloading a show with the ads built in. Sure, one could fast-forward past them but most people don’t bother, especially if the ads are short and varied.
Not only would the networks actually get to show advertisers an ever larger pool of eyeballs but they would be putting the pirates right out of business.
Just thinking aloud…
Related articles by Zemanta
- Boxee Gets ABC (technologizer.com)
- NBC Universal Likes To Keep Its Head In The Sand About People Watching TV Online (techdirt.com)
- A Quick Boxee Update (mymediamusings.com)
- TV on the Web Takes Off: Fox’s Strategy (gigaom.com)
- Pirates Beat Oscars Again – Suck It MPAA (mymediamusings.com)